Friday, January 17, 2014

About Me

Why am I an Interior Designer?

As a young girl, things just stood out to me: the dark kitchen at my friend's house,  a grand piano at the home where I babysat, or the restored pie safe in the dining room of my aunt and uncle where I ate many dinners.  A blustery afternoon outside my bedroom windows would grab my attention.  By the time I was 13, I was re-arranging my bedroom furniture using stuff from my older sibling's vacant bedrooms. In junior high I took my first drawing class, and toward the end of the year in front of the whole class, my teacher pointed to me and told another art teacher that I had to continue with art.

In high school, any career and personality tests I was required to take slowly coalesced into a career in interior design.  I am so organized and analytical that testing took a while to point me into the right direction.  Getting my degree in design took concentration and fortitude at Brigham Young University!  My education gave me chance to see the world in layers of detail, and I am forever grateful for that.

I've put that education to use by helping clients along the way while raising my three boys.  Jon and I have learned the quirks of three different homes around the Salt Lake Valley, this last one a full remodel before we moved in.  Sometimes I post my research on pianos, or leather couches.  Other posts are about a client I'm working for.  A lot of posts are about the work we do to our own home.  Our home remodel gave me the chance to get "hands on" experience tearing apart walls, hiring someone to move a basement toilet by chipping up concrete, figuring out who to hire to install a dryer vent, and learning what to look for in a contractor.  No matter what project I have going on, I am always looking for a bigger picture.  Is there a way to choose things for a room that will still look good in 20 years?  Why is design cyclical?  Is there a philosophy to this whole thing?

Welcome to my space!

No comments:

Post a Comment