Monday, January 12, 2015

Classic Design Series, Part 1: My obsession with timeless design.

I collect old decorating books.  I have at least one from every decade going back to the 1940s.  They are a great source of inspiration for me.  Sometimes I don't get that snap of brilliance with a design until I have looked through them.  Like the texture that comes through with this 1970s monochromatic interior, below:


The House Book, 1974, 1982 edition

Old decorating books are also a source of trend forecasting for me. I can see patterns with decorating that mimic fashion and food trends.  I've blogged often about these trends here, here, here, and here.

The Practical Encyclopedia of Good Decorating and Home Improvement, 1970

ALL of my clients tell me that they don't want anything trendy.  They want classic.  But when we look at inspiration, all of the pictures are from rooms that are less than 10 years old.  Who has seen a room that doesn't look dated 10 years later??

torquin.com

But there is a rhyme and reason to all of this.  Some things date a room faster than others.  And those are the things that I spend the least amount of money on.  Mostly.  Or, I just avoid all together.  Or, I plan on updating in 10 years.  It's all about healthy expectations right??

uglyhousephotos.com

The first things to date a room should be the most trendy and the least expensive in your design.  You'd be surprised what they are.  Most of us invest waaaay too much time and money into some of these!  Want to know what they are? Tune in for my next post: What dates a room first?

No comments:

Post a Comment